Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Family ‘in total shock’ over death of mother and children in house fire

The fire at a house in Bolton was accidental and caused by a halogen heater.

The family of a mother and three children killed in a house fire have said they are in “total shock”.

Aneesa Umerji, 40, her two sons Hammad, 12, and Yusuf, 10, and five-year-old daughter Khadija died after a blaze took hold of their home in Rosamond Street, Bolton, at around 9am on Saturday.

In a statement released through the Bolton Council of Mosques, the family said the fire was accidental and was caused by a halogen heater.

They added: “We are aware that all the emergency services did everything they could to rescue the family members and we appreciate their efforts.”

The statement said: “The families are in total shock at the events of yesterday morning where an accidental fire caused by a halogen heater led to the sad fatalities of Aneesa, Hammad, Yusuf and Khadija.

“We are also humbled and overwhelmed with the support received from the wider community of Bolton and surrounding towns.

The blaze in Rosamond Street, Bolton, killed a mother and her three children (Aymen Mohamed/PA)

“We are very grateful to BCOM for their continued support in our difficult time. The families are still trying to come to terms with what has happened and are focused on offering support to each other.

“We respectfully request that you all pray for the departed and allow the families to come to terms with their tragic loss.

“The families would be very grateful if the media can respect our privacy and allow us to grieve.

“Thank you once again for everyone’s kind words and support, they have provided much-needed strength in these very testing times.”

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph