Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Family of British Ebola-hit nurse hails his medics

London: The family of British Ebola victim William Pooley has thanked doctors fighting to save his life for the "excellent care" he is being given.

In their first words since the 29-year-old volunteer nurse was flown back to the UK on Sunday night for emergency treatment, his family paid tribute to those who brought him home.

And they also urged Britons to consider the thousands in west Africa afflicted by the virus, but dying in their droves because they lack adequate medical care.

They said: "We would like to express our thanks to all involved in bringing our son back to the UK.

"We have been astounded by the speed and way which the various international and UK Government agencies have worked together to get Will home. Will is receiving excellent care at the Royal Free Hospital and we could not ask for him to be in a better place.

"We would like to thank all our family and friends for their best wishes and ask everyone to remember those in other parts of the world suffering with Ebola who do not have access to the same healthcare facilities as Will."

Mr Pooley, who comes from the village of Eyke in Suffolk, contracted the potentially deadly virus while in Sierra Leone, where he had been volunteering at the Ebola centre in Kenema.

Mr Pooley, who has been praised by colleagues as "particularly brave", had travelled to the country to volunteer at a hospice in the capital Freetown treating HIV and cancer.

But he risked his life to move to the Kenema Government Hospital when he heard about the pressing need for medics after other healthcare workers died from Ebola.

Dr Peter Carter, chief executive and general secretary of the Royal College of Nursing, said: "William Pooley demonstrated incredible bravery and commitment in volunteering to provide nursing care in Sierra Leone for those with Ebola, and we wish him a speedy recovery.

"The dedication of front line health care workers like William is essential for containing the spread of this virus."

Oliver Johnson, a friend of Mr Pooley's who worked with him in Sierra Leone, said he was an "extraordinary guy" who knew the risks involved but was prepared to take them for the sake of the patients.

"He was a hugely professional nurse and a hugely dedicated one, so he understood those (risks) but was prepared to take them for the sake of the patients and colleagues he had there," he said.

Mother jailed for killing her son

Edinburgh: A mother who killed her three-year-old son, dumped his body in a suitcase and claimed that he was missing has been jailed for 11 years.

Mikaeel Kular, a “healthy, happy little boy”, died two days after being beaten repeatedly by Rosdeep Adekoya following a family day out in January.

After discovering his lifeless body on the floor of their Edinburgh home, she put it in the suitcase and drove about 25 miles to Kirkcaldy, Fife, to hide it in woodland behind her sister's house.

Adekoya dialled 999 to report him missing, sparking a major search operation involving the emergency services and hundreds of local people who volunteered to help. In reality, she had beaten him so badly that when his body was found it had more than 40 injuries.

Adekoya (34) was initially charged with murder but last month pleaded guilty to the reduced charge of culpable homicide and a second charge of attempting to defeat the ends of justice.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard she had a history of depression and had attempted suicide in 2001.

Passing sentence, judge Lord Glennie said what she did was “cruel and inexcusable”.

Cameron set to threaten Brussels with British exit

London: David Cameron is preparing to threaten to back Britain quitting the European Union if it fails to make major concessions over returning powers.

The PM has always refused to say he would campaign to sever ties if he failed to achieve his promised reforms, but is now poised to issue the warning, according to The Times.

His efforts to pave the way for a new deal were dealt a blow when he lost the battle to stop arch-federalist Jean-Claude Juncker becoming the next European Commission president.

A source told the newspaper: “The shift was almost made public at the time Juncker was appointed, but that timing might have looked like petulance.”

Russian armour crosses border

Ukraine: A column of Russian tanks and armoured vehicles has crossed into Ukraine in the far south east, an official has said.

Colonel Andriy Lysenko, a spokesman for Ukraine's National Security Council, said the column of 10 tanks, two armoured vehicles and two trucks crossed the border near Shcherbak.

It comes after the nearby city of Novoazovsk was shelled during the night from Russia.

The reported incursion and shelling could indicate an attempt to move on Mariupol, a major port on the Azov Sea, an arm of the Black Sea. It comes after Russia announced plans to send a second aid convoy to rebel-held eastern Ukraine. It unilaterally sent about 200 tractor-trailers across the border on Friday, a move Ukraine said was an invasion.

All of those vehicles have returned to Russia after delivering goods to the hard-hit rebel stronghold of Luhansk.

Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said Russia has notified the Ukrainian Government that it is preparing to send a second convoy along the same route.

IS fighters kill up to 670 prisoners, says UN chief

Iraq: The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights has said Islamic State fighters reportedly killed up to 670 prisoners in Mosul and committed other abuses in Iraq that amount to crimes against humanity.

Navi Pillay, the body's top human rights official, said the violations include targeted killings, forced conversions, abductions, trafficking, slavery, sexual abuse, destruction of places of religious and cultural significance and besieging entire communities for ethnic, religious or sectarian reasons.

Funeral held for teen shot by police officer

Missouri: Hundreds of people lined up in sweltering heat yesterday to say goodbye to the 18-year-old US man shot dead by a police officer in an incident that sparked almost two weeks of street protests.

Michael Brown was unarmed when he was shot on August 9 by officer Darren Wilson, who is white. His cousin, Eric Davis, urged those in attendance to go to the polls and push for change. He told the crowd: “We have had enough of the senseless killings.”

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph