Fifth arrest in house body probe
A fifth suspect has been arrested by detectives investigating the murder of a man whose battered body was found in a vacant house.
The man, 37, is being questioned after being arrested in a street in Hove, East Sussex, at 7.30am on Monday.
His arrest follows the discovery of a 39-year-old man's body in a top-floor room at a four-storey property in Russell Square, Brighton, at 5pm on Saturday. A post-mortem examination at the city's Royal Sussex County Hospital suggested he died from head injuries. No weapons are believed to have been used in the attack.
The victim, who has not yet been formally identified, lived in Brighton for a number of years and his next-of-kin live elsewhere in the country.
One neighbour, 37-year-old Ben Clemente, said he had seen an Eastern European man staying at the property.
It had been vacant since last September when the owner died. Police were called there last Thursday and spoke to squatters inside after finding the entrance insecure.
On Saturday officers returned to the terraced house following further calls from members of the public.
Police discovered the body in a room after the occupants invited officers inside. A 40-year-old man was arrested at the scene. Three further arrests were later made, a 28-year-old man and two 27-year-old men. All are in custody.
Detective Chief Inspector Jeff Riley, of Sussex Police's major crime branch, said: "We continue to seek people who have visited or stayed at the house in the last few days, and to talk to those who live nearby, to help us unravel exactly what has happened."
Anyone with information is asked to call Sussex Police on 0845 6070 999, quoting Operation Roseland, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.