Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Fight breaks out as loyalist march passes Irish bar in Liverpool

Warning: Video contains some strong language

Footage has emerged appearing to show a fight break out near an Irish bar during a loyalist march through Liverpool city centre.

An eyewitness told The Independent they saw marchers fighting with members of the public drinking in The Liffey Irish bar on Renshaw Street.

The fight "got quite violent" before being broken up by police, the witness said.

It comes after the Prime Minister, Theresa May, sought a deal with the DUP to support her in Parliament.

It is unclear whether the march on Saturday was related to the potential "confidence and supply" agreement or whether it had been planned to go ahead anyway.

Beth Redmond was in Liverpool with her friend when she heard the drums of the marching bands and saw "loads of Union Jack flags. Obviously after what's happened, we said we hope it's not the Orange lodge," she told The Independent:

"Then we saw orange sashes and realised it was.

"Just as we got round the corner they walked past an Irish bar called the Liffey and I'm not sure who it was who initiated it, whether people came out of the pub or they went into the pub, but they started fighting each other.

"People were throwing beers all over each other, it got quite violent.

"The police came, but the fight moved up the road a little bit. I think eventually it must have dispersed but it was very tense."

She described seeing around 20 people fighting.

Read more

Orange Order asks DUP to use Drumcree march in talks with May 

"The pub got locked eventually so people couldn't go in, the people who were on the march were banging on the windows and doors trying to get in," she said.

"I think the people on both sides of the fight were holding people back."

Merseyside Police said they were contacted following reports of a disturbance on Renshaw Street at 7.25pm.

One man was arrested for being drunk and disorderly and another was arrested for a public order offence.

There were no reports of anyone being injured, the police said.

The Liffey Irish bar refused to comment.

Liverpool Provincial Grand Orange Lodge said: "We would like to emphasise that the Orange Institution were neither the organisers or participants in this event.

"We do not condone violence in any form in support of any religion or cause,whilst always supporting the rights of legitimate groups to walk the streets of our city."

Independent News Service


From Belfast Telegraph