Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Finsbury police arrest Bidhya Sagar Das after boy (1) killed and twin sister seriously injured

By Scott D'Arcy

A man has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of a one-year-old boy and the attempted murder of a girl who is believed to be his twin sister, Scotland Yard said.

Bidhya Sagar Das (33) was wanted by police in connection with an incident at a flat in Wilberforce Road, near Finsbury Park, north London.

Both toddlers were discovered with critical injuries at the address on Saturday night and were taken to an east London hospital, where the boy died in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Scotland Yard said Das was arrested in the Hackney area at 7.15pm on Sunday.

He has been taken to an east London police station where he remains in custody.

The girl remains in hospital in a critical condition.

Witnesses heard a woman shouting for help on the street outside at around 11.10pm on Saturday and later saw two children being carried out of the property.

Horrified neighbours reported that a woman, believed to be the children's mother, rushed out of her home screaming "my children, my children!" shortly after 11pm on Saturday.

Witnesses had told reporters that they believed the children had been attacked with a hammer, although the police are yet to confirm this.

Mihai Manea (29), who lives on the second floor of the white three-storey building, said the children were twins and lived on the top floor with their Romanian mother and Indian father.

The father worked at the nearby Pembury Hotel as a receptionist, where Mr Manea also works, until a few days ago, he said.

A woman living opposite the building, who gave her name as Gui Gui, said she heard a woman shouting late on Saturday night and opened the window to offer help.

"I was watching TV," she explained. "I heard someone was shouting.

"She kept on shouting. I do not know what she was shouting.

"I opened the window and I asked her 'Can I help you, can I call the police for you?'

"She said, 'My kids'."

She later saw two young children being carried out of the building, with one held very close to a member of the emergency services.

The incident is believed to be domestic and enquiries continue, police said.

Next of kin have been informed of the boy's death but formal identification and a post-mortem examination are yet to take place.

Detective Chief Inspector Dave Whellams, of the Metropolitan Police, said: "This is clearly a tragic incident, and our thoughts are with the family of the two young children.

"Despite the best efforts of medical professionals a baby boy sadly died in the early hours of this morning.

"A baby girl currently remains in a critical condition and is receiving specialist medical care.

"While we remain in the early stages of the investigation, a man has now been arrested.

"I would still like to hear from anyone who may have any information regarding this terrible incident."

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph