Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Fire at One Direction star Liam Payne's Canary Wharf apartment may have caused by patio heater

Three people reportedly injured after blaze

A fire reportedly broke out at the London residence of a One Direction band member this week, leaving three guests injured.

The blaze took place on the balcony of Liam Payne’s Docklands apartment block on Monday night, according to reports.

An unnamed male friend of Payne’s is alleged to have tried to re-fuel an outside heater on the terrace of the pop star’s flat.

But something went wrong and the patio heater is alleged to have exploded, setting both the friend and Payne’s patio alight.

An ambulance and fire brigade reportedly attended the scene at 9.45pm on Monday night.

Payne, 20, who was reportedly not present when the fire broke out, accompanied his friend in the ambulance.

The worst affected victim is said to have suffered 20 per cent burns to his hands and face.

Another man and a woman are said to have suffered minor burns to their hands.

A source told the Mirror: “[Liam’s] friend went to fill up the gas for a heating lamp, there was some sort of accident and the whole balcony went up in flames.”

Firefighters confirmed via Twitter that six engines from East London attended the scene on Monday.

“Firefighters worked quickly and professionally to get the fire under control as quickly as possible. About 30 people left the building before we arrived and were not injured,” fire service spokesperson Laurie Kenny said.

“Two of the ­occupants had superficial burns to their hands and the third had burns to his hands and face. All three have been taken to hospital.”

None of the other One Direction bandmembers are believed to have been present. The fivesome have recently been promoting their new documentary, This Is Us, which topped both the UK and US box offices last weekend.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph