First Minister launches expanded reading challenge
Secondary schools, libraries and community groups can all now take part.
Pupils are being urged to sign up for the First Minister’s Reading Challenge, now open to all primary and secondary schools.
Nicola Sturgeon set up the challenge for primary schools in 2016 to encourage young readers.
Last year, 995 schools registered for the challenge and 235,000 pupils took part as it was expanded to some secondary schools in a pilot project.
We are delighted to announce that the First Minister’s Reading Challenge is now open for 2018-19! Find out how easy it is to take your primary, secondary, library or community group on a fantastic new reading journey... https://t.co/yesbrfcCY8. #FMReadChallenge pic.twitter.com/zNBuM2zAtn— Reading Challenge (@FMReadChallenge) September 10, 2018
Now, secondary schools, libraries and community groups can all register with the Scottish Book Trust to take part.
The First Minister launched the third year of the scheme at Renfrew High School, which took part in a pilot expansion last year.
She said: “I set up the First Minister’s Reading Challenge to instil a love of reading from an early age.
“Reading not only opens up a whole new world of adventure, but also helps develop and improve children’s literacy.”
She said it is important to build on the enthusiasm shown in primary schools to encourage pupils to continue reading in high school.
She added: “Registration for this year’s challenge is now open and I’m looking forward to seeing pupils from P1 to S6 getting involved.”