| 16.1°C Belfast

Five sentenced after admitting offences relating to Bristol ‘Kill the Bill’ riot

The disorder followed a peaceful protest in the city on March 21.


A vandalised police van on fire outside Bridewell Police Station (Andrew Matthews/PA)

A vandalised police van on fire outside Bridewell Police Station (Andrew Matthews/PA)

A vandalised police van on fire outside Bridewell Police Station (Andrew Matthews/PA)

Five people have been sentenced after admitting offences relating to the Kill the Bill riot in Bristol.

The disorder, which followed a peaceful protest in the city on March 21, saw around 500 people march on Bridewell police station.

Protesters set fire to police vehicles outside and smashed the windows of the station.

Kane Adamson, Brandon Lloyd, Kain Simmons and Stuart Quinn previously admitted being part of a group that used or threatened violence outside the police station, causing others to fear for their personal safety.

Yasmin Schneider admitted two counts of outraging public decency during the incident.

Bristol Crown Court heard how some officers feared they would die that night, with many left greatly affected by what happened.

Speaking after the case, Chief Superintendent Carolyn Belafonte, of Avon and Somerset Police, described the riot as “nothing short of reprehensible”.

“The sustained violence, the likes of which we have not seen in this city or even the country for many years, had absolutely nothing to do with any protest,” she said.

“Dozens of people came together and acted as a mob to attack and injure police officers, set fire to police vehicles and damage a neighbourhood police station.”

She added that she hoped the sentences would serve as a strong reminder that “wanton violence” would not be tolerated.

Adamson, 21, of Lockleaze, Bristol, was jailed for three years and six months for throwing items at officers, as well as threatening them and attacking their shields.

Lloyd, 21, of Henbury, Bristol, was jailed for three years and 11 months for pushing and kicking police shields, kicking an officer and kicking the windows of the police station.

Simmonds, 18, from Springfield, Birmingham, was sentenced to three years and three months at a young offenders’ institution for kicking police shields, the windows of the police station and using a baton to hit a police van.

Quinn, 46, of St Paul’s, Bristol, encouraged others to attack officers, throw items at the police station and damage a police van. He was jailed for three years and three months.

Schneider, 25, from St Paul’s Bristol, was jailed for five months for urinating at the feet of one police officer.

Avon and Somerset Police said 44 officers were assaulted during the riot.

The damage to the police station and vehicles cost £212,000, while the investigation to identify those responsible is the largest the force has undertaken.

Tens of thousands of hours of footage has been reviewed, hundreds of statements have been taken and dozens of forensic examinations have been carried out.

To date, 75 people have been arrested and 29 people – including the five sentenced on Friday – have been charged.

DCS Belafonte added: “Many of the officers and staff on duty that night will never forget what happened.

“The physical wounds may have healed but the psychological ones may take longer and we continue to make support available to all those who need it.”

Tony Henley, secretary of Avon and Somerset Police Federation, said: “These people were not protesting a cause. They were thugs intent on causing damage and hurting our brave colleagues.

“Forty-four police officers were assaulted that night. It pains us to say some officers thought they would die in the violence and we are fortunate that the physical injuries were not worse than they were.

“Officers were struck, spat on, kicked and punched – some whilst defenceless on the ground. Let that sink in. It’s utterly disgusting – they do not deserve to be treated that way.”

James Le Grys, of the Crown Prosecution Service South West, said those who took part in the violence formed part of an “outbreak group away from the protest and caused havoc” throughout Bristol city centre.

“They chose their route deliberately and targeted the Bridewell Police Station creating a vast amount of damage, fear and disruption,” he said.

“We respect the right to legal protest but when people resort to violence and destruction we will charge offences that reflect the gravity of the criminality.”

He added that criminal proceedings relating to the disorder against other defendants are ongoing and they have the right to a fair trial.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Top Videos