A charge of common assault has been dropped against Liverpool and England footballer Raheem Sterling after a witness failed to turn up to court.
Sterling, 18, did not have to appear at Liverpool Magistrates' Court and the case was dismissed when prosecutor Rob Jones offered no evidence.
The Jamaican-born Premier League star had been accused of assaulting a woman in Toxteth, Liverpool, last November.
The teenager, reportedly paid £30,000 a week, had always denied the allegation of assault and had hired top barrister Stuart Driver QC to defend him. His legal costs will now be paid for by the taxpayer so he would not be "out of pocket" the court heard.
The case has been before Liverpool Magistrates' Court on three previous occasions, none of which the Premier League winger attended.
Sterling is understood to have waited in a silver Mercedes people carrier on a street around the corner from Liverpool Magistrates' Court and did not enter the building for the 10am case to be called on.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, Sterling's agent and other club officials also waited in the car until news came from court that the case had been dropped - to the disappointment of waiting photographers and TV cameras at the court entrance.
Instead prosecutor Mr Jones waited until 10.45am until abandoning the case when witnesses failed to attend court. Mr Jones told District Judge Richard Clancy that two witnesses, a Rachel Smith and a woman known only as Miss Hall, were contacted on Friday and the "expectation" was they would attend to give evidence - but neither had.
The court heard the allegation was of a minor common assault and it was not in the public interest to force alleged victims and witnesses to come to court for such a matter. Mr Jones added: "The only application I can make is to formally offer no evidence in respect of this case.
Mr Driver, for Sterling told the judge: "This was a minor allegation against a teenager of previous good character and Raheem Sterling has always insisted he's done nothing wrong."