Footballer stable after club attack
A footballer seriously injured following an assault outside a nightclub is in a stable condition in hospital.
Dan Seaborne, 24, who plays for Championship club Southampton, was found lying on the pavement with serious head injuries.
He was attacked in the early hours of Friday morning outside Junk nightclub in Southampton and treated at the scene by paramedics.
He was taken to Southampton General Hospital where his condition was described as stable, a Hampshire Police spokesman said.
Two men were arrested in connection with the incident. A 29-year-old from Southampton has been released without charge, and a 35-year-old, also from Southampton, has been freed on bail pending further inquiries.
The spokesman said: "Although a number of witnesses have been identified and spoken to by police, officers are appealing for others to come forward, especially if they witnessed the altercation outside the club."
It appears the centre-half had been inside the club in London Road with friends earlier in the evening and an argument took place. The row then escalated outside and police were called to the scene at around 2.51am.
The former Exeter player signed for Southampton in January last year.
More than 3,700 people have joined a Facebook group titled Get well soon Dan Seaborne. One well-wisher wrote: "Get well soon Danny. We need you back in the team."
A Southampton FC spokesman said: "Southampton Football Club can confirm that Dan Seaborne has sustained a significant head injury and is in hospital under close observation. The club will issue further updates on Dan's progress in due course."