Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Fugitive Jamie Acourt will not fight extradition from Spain

The 41-year-old, who was captured outside a gym in Barcelona, is due to be returned to the UK.

One of Britain’s most wanted fugitives is to be brought back to the UK, after it was confirmed he will not fight extradition.

Jamie Acourt was captured by armed officers as he left a gym in Barcelona on Friday.

He had been due to appear in court in Madrid this week, but at a weekend hearing of the Spanish High Court it was accepted that he will not challenge his extradition.

A spokeswoman for the National Crime Agency (NCA) said: “We can confirm that he is not challenging his extradition.”

The NCA could not confirm when Acourt, who remains in custody in  Barcelona after appearing in court via videolink, will be brought back to the UK.

The spokeswoman said: “He is in the Spanish court system now and there will be a number of things that have to happen before he is returned to the UK.”

It is believed Acourt will be escorted back to Britain by the Metropolitan Police force’s extradition team.

He is wanted by the the force over his alleged involvement in the large-scale supply of drugs.

Acourt is a former suspect in the racist murder of Stephen Lawrence in 1993.

The 41-year-old, from south London has always denied involvement in the murder of 18-year-old Mr Lawrence in Eltham, south London.

He was apprehended on a European Arrest Warrant (EAW), as he left the Metropolitan Sagrada Familia Gym on Friday afternoon after a joint operation by the NCA, Crimestoppers and the Spanish authorities.

The NCA described him as one of Britain’s most wanted fugitives.

Acourt was the 81st fugitive out of 96 to be tracked down in Operation Captura.

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph