Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Girls hurt in camping stove blast

Two girls are recovering in hospital after being injured when a gas camping stove exploded, the air ambulance service has said.

The 11-year-olds suffered serious burns in the explosion at Wicksteed Park in Kettering, Northamptonshire, on Saturday, and had to be airlifted to hospital.

A spokeswoman for Warwickshire & Northamptonshire Air Ambulance (WNAA) said crews were called out at around 6.30pm on Saturday, arriving within 10 minutes.

She said: "Two 11-year-old girls were camping with family when they were involved in an accident with a gas camp stove.

"The two young patients received burns to their face, neck, chest, arms and legs and needed urgent medical attention."

Due to the serious nature of the call, the Midlands Air Ambulance was also sent to the scene, the spokeswoman said, as well as Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service.

She said doctors on board treated the girls, giving them pain relief and dressing their wounds, before airlifting them to Birmingham Children's Hospital.

The pair were said to be in a "serious but stable" condition.

Dominic Tolley, WNAA director of air operations and clinical services, said: "This mission was a great team effort. I am glad that the two air ambulance services and our doctors were able to give our young patients the best possible care, leading to the most positive outcome for them.

"Warwickshire & Northamptonshire Air Ambulance airlift hundreds of youngsters each year providing a speedy transfer to the best paediatric hospital to treat their individual needs."

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph