Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Grand National winner Ryan Mania leaves hospital after race fall and 'remembers everything'

Grand National winning jockey Ryan Mania has left hospital - and said he remembers everything about his heavy fall.

The jockey has been in Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary since Sunday when he came off his horse at Hexham, Northumberland.

An MRI on his back and neck revealed he had a tiny fracture to his C7 vertebra as well as some soft tissue and ligament damage.

Speaking about the accident, he told Sky Sports News: "I'm feeling a bit tired and a bit sore but apart from that I'm okay, it's nothing serious. I remember it all, I didn't bash my head.

"The horse jumped it (the hurdle) okay, then stumbled a few strides after the hurdle and fell over.

"Then I got a sharp pain in my back, which was obviously when I got kicked and that was it.

"I've got a very small fracture to my C7, which is at the bottom of my neck, and the rest is just ligament and soft tissue damage.

"They didn't tell me when I could be riding again.

"I'll have to speak to Dr (Michael) Turner, the jockeys' medical officer. Once I've spoken to him, we'll have more of an idea.

"When it first happened it wasn't great but once the doctors arrived I realised it wasn't too bad."

Earlier, he tweeted: "Delighted to be getting out today. Looking forward to getting home to see friends & family. Would also love to see GN2013 replay."

He is now expected to attend a parade tonight in his home town of Galashiels in the Scottish Borders.

The event will include a reception at a restaurant followed by a parade through the town.

In a statement, Mania's agent Bruce Jeffrey said: "Ryan feels fine in himself and he is up and walking about perfectly fine. He is hoping to be back in the saddle in the very near future.

"Once again, Ryan and his family would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody for their support, it has been fantastic, and he just can't wait to get back riding again."

The jockey won Saturday's Grand National on Auroras Encore, which was a 66-1 outsider.

But after a heavy fall at Hexham less than 24 hours later, the 23-year-old was taken to hospital by air ambulance for treatment.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph