Grenfell tenants who illegally sublet flats to face no charges, says Sajid Javid
Questions linger over the official death toll of 80.
Grenfell Tower tenants who were illegally subletting have been offered protection from prosecution as authorities attempt to establish the total number missing from the blaze.
Communities Secretary Sajid Javid announced that new legal guidance would ensure nobody who was unlawfully renting out their property in the building would face charges.
It comes as questions linger over the official death toll of 80, with critics alleging many had not come forward to report those living in their flat as missing due to fear of reprisal.
Prosecutors were issued the update by the Director of Public Prosecution in consultation with the Attorney General, “given the public interest must be in being able to identify the victims of the fire”.
Kensington and Chelsea Council will also follow the guidance, the Government confirmed.
The development was said to have come from “anecdotal evidence” suggesting there were a host of tenants who had been illegally subletting the property on the night of the fire.
AG: I hope this statement provides some much needed clarity to the local community and encourages anyone with information to come forward https://t.co/5SsGjX4hr6— Attorney General (@attorneygeneral) July 2, 2017
Mr Javid said: “Supporting those affected by the tragic events at Grenfell Tower has been the absolute priority of the government. That includes making sure that loved ones still missing are identified.
“Therefore, I would urge those with information to come forward without fear of prosecution.”
The guidance also applies for nearby Grenfell Walk, the Government said.
Director of Public Prosecutions Alison Saunders said: “It is a priority for investigators to establish who was in Grenfell Tower on that tragic day and it is crucial that we do everything possible to support them.”