‘I’m going to keep going’: Manchester attack victim reveals drive to walk again
Martin Hibbert was caught up in the Manchester Arena attack.
A survivor left paralysed by the Manchester Arena attack has spoken of his drive to walk again after undergoing therapy.
Martin Hibbert, 41, was lucky to survive after killer Salman Abedi’s suicide bombing killed 22 people and left scores injured on May 22 last year at an Ariana Grande concert.
Mr Hibbert’s spinal cord was severed leaving him paralysed below the waist – but has since undergone treatment in Australia and told the Mirror each day “brought a new miracle”.
The NeuroPhysics Therapy treatment saw the football agent’s brain re-trained to bypass the damaged nerves.
He told the paper: “I could feel my toes being pinched, with the sensation travelling all the way up my feet and legs.
“To know that pain receptors are starting to kick in is incredible and, according to the clinic, offers great hope for the future. My legs have been going mad on the long flight home.”
The Manchester United fan said he had “always been determined and driven” and said he would “show” the doctors who told him he would never walk again.
He said: “From the moment the blast happened, I have wanted to stick two fingers up to the terrorists and say ‘You can take away my legs but you are not going to take away my life’.
“I’m going to keep going until I’m walking. The thing I’ve missed most is walking Alfie, our cocker spaniel.”