In Pictures: Manchester remembers bombing victims
A mass singalong event has taken place in the city’s Albert Square to remember the victim’s of last year’s attack.
Thousands packed into Albert Square for the Manchester Together – With One Voice event.
The mass singalong remembered the victims of last year’s Manchester Arena bombing and followed a remembrance service held earlier in the day at Manchester Cathedral.
Just with a couple of colleagues from Rochdale helping keep people safe in Albert Square. Really great atmosphere and lots of support from the crowds. pic.twitter.com/0i1XfagK0p— Chief Constable Ian Hopkins (@CCIanHopkins) May 22, 2018
Speaking on stage, the Lord Mayor of Manchester, Councillor Joan Hitchen, said: “Tonight the city of Manchester continues to demonstrate our solidarity to those who were affected by the terrible events of one year ago.”
The @LordMayorOfMcr Cllr June Hitchen and Bishop of Manchester David Walker opened tonight's event with speeches, and Chancellor of @OfficialUoM Lemn Sissay has performed a specially-written poem. #McrTogether pic.twitter.com/j4NTA1qob5— Manchester City Council (@ManCityCouncil) May 22, 2018
She thanked the brave men and women of the various emergency responders who helped “bring our Manchester together again”.
The crowd responded with huge applause as she said: “Weren’t they brilliant?”
She went on: “We also stand in solidarity with each other as Mancunians and tonight we are going to show the world that we stand together.”
Earlier in the day, hundreds of those injured and the families of those killed were joined by the Duke of Cambridge and Prime Minister Theresa May, as well as emergency services staff, civic leaders and other national figures.
Emotional scenes in Manchester's Cathedral Gardens as thousands stand for the minute's silence - many in tears. pic.twitter.com/wU05JB3QXC— Dave Higgens (@DaveHiggensPA) May 22, 2018