Key timings for the royal birth
The Duchess of Cambridge was taken to the Lindo Wing in London early on Monday.
Here are the timings of the birth of the new Prince of Cambridge:
Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge was admitted to St. Mary’s Hospital, Paddington, London earlier this morning in the early stages of labour.— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) April 23, 2018
The Duchess travelled by car from Kensington Palace to the Lindo Wing at St. Mary’s Hospital with The Duke of Cambridge.
– Before 6am: The Duchess of Cambridge is driven to the Lindo Wing of St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington, London, accompanied by the Duke of Cambridge.
– 8.24am: Kensington Palace confirms Kate has been admitted to hospital in the early stages of labour.
– 11.01am: Kate gives birth to a baby son.
– 1.02pm: Kensington Palace announces the birth of the prince and reveals the baby weighs 8lb 7oz.
– 2.30pm: A notice is put on the golden easel outside Buckingham Palace to announce the birth.
Placed by footman Heather McDonald and senior footman Olivia Smith, the notice read: “Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge was safely delivered of a son at 11.01am today.
“Her Royal Highness and her child are both doing well.”
– 4.12pm: A beaming Prince William emerges from the Lindo Wing and appears to be heading off to collect his other children.
“Back in a minute,” he says to the waiting media, before climbing into a Land Rover Discovery and driving away.
– 4.48pm: William returns to the Lindo Wing with Prince George, and Princess Charlotte who waves sweetly to the crowds, so they can meet their new baby brother
– 5.17pm: Prince George and Princess Charlotte return to Kensington Palace and officials say William and Kate would like to thank hospital staff and everyone for their warm wishes.
Welcome to the family. pic.twitter.com/nKSd5kh5bZ— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) April 23, 2018
– 5.51pm: The world gets its first glimpse of the fifth in line to the throne. Wearing a red Jenny Packham shift dress with a delicate white floral lace collar, Kate steps out of the Lindon Wing cradling her newborn who is swaddled in a shawl from GH Hurt and Son Ltd, with William by her side. The royal couple retreat indoors after a few minutes of posing for photographs.
– 5.56pm: The new royal and his parents leave hospital. Kate sits in the back of the car while William drives them home to Kensington Palace. As he left the Duke said he was “very happy, very delighted, thank you”, adding: “Thrice the worry now”.