Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Lessons to learn on burn girl death

Lessons can be learned from the death of a two-year-old girl who died after her mother failed to seek medical treatment for burns to her body from a scalding shower, a serious case review has concluded.

The review, published by the Birmingham Safeguarding Children Board (BSCB), said it was clear that the death of Kristiana Logina last February could have been prevented if her family had accessed medical treatment earlier.

However, it said the review had also highlighted the need for better inter-agency communication, and recommended the provision of easily available guidance for parents on the treatment of burns.

It said it would be mounting a publicity campaign on "safer bathing" for children, with advice on temperature checks and what to do if a child suffers burns.

Kristiana died of septic shock after suffering severe burns in a scalding hot shower at her Birmingham home last February.

Her mother, Eva Logina, was jailed for six years for manslaughter at Nottingham Crown Court last month, and was told she would serve a concurrent one-year sentence after also being convicted of child cruelty.

Her former boyfriend, Rashpal Chana, was also handed a prison term of four and a half years at the same court for the child's manslaughter.

The month-long trial heard that the couple had failed to summon medical assistance for Kristiana, who died around 12 days after being scalded.

Summarising the findings of its review, the board's independent chair, Jane Held, said: "It is always with great sadness that we publish a review into a child's death and our sympathies are with her extended family. Had her family accessed medical treatment for her earlier then the review makes it clear her death would have been preventable.

"However, there are always lessons to learn from these tragedies, especially for those agencies that were in contact with the family, and the review has highlighted some helpful recommendations. The review does highlight the need for better inter-agency communication, and recommends the provision of easily available guidance for parents on the treatment of burns."

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph