Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

London terror attack: Third terrorist named as Youssef Zaghba

The third London Bridge terrorist has been named as Youssef Zaghba, an Italian national of Moroccan descent.

Scotland Yard confirmed the identity of the 22-year-old, from east London, and said he was not a police or MI5 "subject of interest", despite Italian media reports suggesting he was.

The news came as detectives arrested another suspect at an address in Barking, east London. The 27-year-old was held under the Terrorism Act shortly after 8am on Tuesday. 

According to the Corriere della Sera newspaper Zaghba's Italian mother lives in Bologna in the north of the country.

The paper said Zaghba was born in Fez in Morocco and had seasonal work in a London restaurant. It reported that he was stopped by Italian police in March 2016 at Bologna's airport trying to fly to Turkey and then on to Syria.

Italian intelligence officials reportedly communicated this to their UK counterparts.

The name was confirmed as MI5 and police faced questions after it emerged another of the three perpetrators, Khuram Shazad Butt, 27, had been investigated two years before the atrocity. 

Pakistani-born British citizen Butt and Rachid Redouane, who claimed to be Moroccan-Libyan, were named on Monday night as two of the terrorists who launched a murderous rampage around London Bridge and Borough Market on Saturday night. 

Redouane (30) was a pastry chef who moved to Dublin in 2016 along with his wife Charisse O'Leary (38), who is originally from the UK.

They have an 18-month-old daughter together. Security sources believe the terror attacker lived in an apartment block in Rathmines, Co Dublin with his family over a period of time.

Redouane and Ms O'Leary married in the Republic in 2012, before moving to the UK. They returned to Ireland in 2016 before leaving again last October.

Read more: London Bridge attackers: What do we know?

Read more: London Bridge terrorist could have used Northern Ireland as back door into Britain 

Seven victims were killed and dozens injured in the spree, which ended when armed police shot dead the perpetrators just eight minutes after the first emergency call. 

On Tuesday the Metropolitan Police's counter-terrorism command released the name and photograph of the third attacker.

Scotland Yard said: "While formal identification is yet to take place, detectives believe he is 22-year-old Youssef Zaghba, from east London.

"The deceased's family have been informed. He is believed to be an Italian national of Moroccan descent. He was not a police or MI5 subject of interest."

The latest arrest takes the total number held as part of the investigation to 13. Twelve have been released without charge.

A search warrant is being executed at an address in Barking, the Met said. 

Earlier on Tuesday officers entered and searched an address in Ilford. Nobody has been detained at that location. 

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph