Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

'Luck' prevented blast casualties

Firefighters have said that only good fortune prevented people from being killed when an explosion tore through a house on Tuesday night, blowing the roof and the front off the building.

The house in Bodmin, Cornwall, was vacant and had little furniture in it when it blew up at around 8.45pm on Tuesday. It was the only detached property in a street of semi-detached homes in a quiet residential area.

One neighbour said she heard two separate "booms" and rushed outside to see the house in Margaret Crescent badly damaged and ablaze. One elderly neighbour, Colin Pearce, had to be dragged from his bed by other street residents who feared the flames could spread to his home, just a few feet from the burning building, after he slept through the explosion.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service's Bodmin station manager Lee Griffin, who was in charge of the 24 firefighters who tackled the blaze, said it was "amazing" no-one had been injured.

"The front first floor wall of the building was in the front garden. Smoke was coming from every orifice of the building," he said, adding that the house was empty and had little furniture in it at the time.

At its peak three fire crews, two from Bodmin and one from nearby Lostwithiel, tackled the fire, the cause of which is still being investigated. The destroyed house was reportedly on the market at the time the explosion happened.

On Wednesday morning, other people living on the quiet residential street close to the town centre were helping to clear the road outside the building of glass that had shattered and been blown there by the force of the blast.

One resident, who only gave her name as Pam, said: "We were watching TV and we heard this boom. Then there was a second boom and an almighty crash. It was very loud. I came rushing out of the front door and a neighbour shouted that he had called the fire brigade."

Mr Pearce spent the night at his son's home after Cornwall Fire and Rescue cordoned off neighbouring properties as they fought to bring the fire under control. But he was back on Wednesday, helping others clear the street of debris.

The house and garden have been sealed off as fire investigation specialists and Devon and Cornwall Police investigate the cause of the fire, which is as yet unexplained. Devon and Cornwall Police said a 49-year-old man from Truro was arrested on suspicion of arson shortly after the incident and is in police custody.


From Belfast Telegraph