Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Man admits causing 10-year-old girl’s death by dangerous driving

Connor Marsden also pleaded guilty to failing to stop after the crash in Kenton, Newcastle, which fatally injured Melissa Tate.

Connor Marsden has admitted causing the death of schoolgirl Melissa Tate (Northumbria Police/PA)
Connor Marsden has admitted causing the death of schoolgirl Melissa Tate (Northumbria Police/PA)

By Henry Clare, PA

A man has admitted causing the death of a 10-year-old schoolgirl in a hit-and-run crash.

Melissa Tate was struck by a car in Hillsview Avenue in Kenton, Newcastle, on the evening of Wednesday September 25.

The youngster, who was described as “beautiful” by her family, was rushed to hospital but later died.

Police cars in Hillsview Avenue in Kenton, Newcastle, after the hit-and-run in which Melissa Tate was fatally injured (Henry Clare/PA)

Appearing at Newcastle Crown Court on Monday, 24-year-old Connor Marsden admitted causing her death by dangerous driving.

Marsden, wearing a white sweater and appearing via video-link, gave no reaction as he entered the plea, and also admitted failing to stop following the crash.

He will be sentenced at a later date.

Following her death, Melissa’s parents, Michael Tate and Kimberley Wilson, said the schoolgirl had saved the lives of sick children after the family decided to donate her organs.

Melissa Tate’s family said her organs had been donated to help sick children (Northumbria Police/PA)

Mr Tate said: “Melissa was a beautiful, smart, funny, cheeky and laid-back girl who had a heart of gold and not a bad bone in her body.

“She could brighten up anyone’s day and all she ever wanted to do is help people.

“Even after passing she still went on to help others by donating her organs.”

Marsden was told he will have to appear in court in person when he is sentenced on December 12.

Judge Robert Adams told him: “You must understand that these are serious matters you have admitted, and it’s inevitable there will be a substantial custodial sentence.”

Mark Guiliani, prosecuting, said Marsden was estimated to have been travelling at around 47mph on the 20mph road, but his defence team argue that his speed was actually lower.



From Belfast Telegraph