Man arrested after peaceful end to armed siege
The 24-year-old is being detained on suspicion of attempted murder after the incident in Oxford.
A 24-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after an armed siege ended peacefully in the early hours.
The incident in Oxford was sparked by reports of a man with a gun.
Thames Valley Police said shots were fired from a property in Paradise Square in the city centre, with officers returning fire.
Shortly before 3am today a 24-year-old man from Oxford was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in connection with the incident. He is currently in police custody.— TVP Oxford (@TVP_Oxford) May 8, 2018
Nearby streets were cordoned off by officers who were called to the scene at about 1.15pm on Monday.
Negotiations with the man continued until about 3am on Tuesday.
The force said the incident had been resolved and that road closures in the area had been lifted.
One person was treated for non-life threatening injuries, paramedics said.
A force spokesman said: “Shortly before 3am today (8/5) a 24-year-old man from Oxford was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. He is currently
in police custody.”
He added: “Armed response officers were present in Paradise Square following a report shortly after 1.15pm that a man had access to a firearm.
A firearms incident in Paradise Square, Oxford, has ended peacefully.— TVP Oxford (@TVP_Oxford) May 8, 2018
All road closures have been lifted in the area. A small scenewatch remains in place.
“Shots were fired from the property and police returned fire.
“The incident was contained and no-one sustained any serious injuries.
“There had also been a large police presence in the area and a number of road closures, all of which have been lifted.”
Thank you to everyone for your understanding and patience while we worked to resolve the incident safely.— TVP Oxford (@TVP_Oxford) May 8, 2018
We are grateful for the support of members of the public and local businesses.
If you're coming in to Oxford today you should not experience any further disruption.
Superintendent Joe Kidman said: “I would like to thank the community for their understanding and patience while we worked to resolve the incident
“Officers are particularly grateful for the support of members of the public and local businesses.
“While the investigation is ongoing, people travelling in to Oxford should not experience any further disruption.”