Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Man bailed in Adeyemi abuse probe

A 20-year-old man arrested on suspicion of racially abusing Oldham footballer Tom Adeyemi during an FA Cup game against Liverpool has been released on bail as the Reds said they were "deeply sorry" for what had happened.

The man, from Aintree, was arrested by Merseyside Police, who are investigating the incident which took place in the second half of the match at Anfield on Friday night.

Late in the FA Cup third-round fixture Adeyemi, on loan from Norwich, appeared to take offence at something shouted from the Kop.

A police spokesman said the suspect, who was arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence, has been released on bail pending further inquiries.

Liverpool, who won the match 5-1, said they were also investigating the incident.

A statement from the club said: "The club has worked actively to combat discrimination and has been at the forefront of social inclusion and community activity in football, winning awards and commendations for its work throughout the world.

"Whatever the outcome of what is now a police investigation, all of us are deeply sorry for what happened on Friday night and our players and our club pass on our sincere regrets to Tom Adeyemi for the upset and distress he suffered as a result of the matter at hand.

"Regarding the incident that occurred on Friday evening, we have given Merseyside Police every possible assistance we can and will continue to provide the necessary support to their investigation in order to ensure this particular incident is dealt with properly. We will continue to take the strongest possible action(s) against unacceptable behaviour during our matches."

Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the Professional Footballers Association, added: "Having spoken to Tom Adeyemi we can confirm that he was the victim of racist abuse towards the end of the Liverpool v Oldham FA Cup tie last Friday evening.

"This abuse came from a spectator sitting in the Kop section of the ground. Tom has given a full witness statement to the Merseyside Police regarding the incident and will continue to assist the police fully in their inquiries."


From Belfast Telegraph