Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Man dies after police use Taser

A man has died after police shot him with a Taser, Greater Manchester Police have said.

The 23-year-old suffered a "medical episode" and died after police fired at him with the stun gun.

Officers were responding to a disturbance at around 8.15pm on Wednesday night in Gorton, Manchester, when they used the Taser to detain the man. The police force has referred itself to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Assistant Chief Constable Garry Shewan said: "Police received a 999 call reporting a disturbance on Beard Road in Gorton where there was a man with a knife.

"Officers were dispatched immediately and arrived in eight minutes. On arrival, a Taser was discharged to detain a 23-year-old man. At this time it is unclear what happened, but at some point afterwards the man suffered a medical episode. Paramedics performed first aid on the man at the scene before he was taken to hospital where he sadly died."

The death has been referred to the local coroner and police family liaison officers are supporting the family.

A friend of the dead man - named locally as Jordan Begley - said that eight armed response officers attended the family home.

"They turfed his mum outside and then went in and battered him," said the man, who did not want to be named. "There were about eight armed response officers went in. He didn't have a knife though. I know for a fact he would not have had a knife. There was no need to use a Taser on him. I think he has some problem with his heart."

Neighbour Kirstie Porter said: "I saw the lad being brought out the house and put in the ambulance. Paramedics were working away on the CPR with the doors open. Everybody was out in the street, all the neighbours. There was police everywhere, loads of vans turned up, there was police all over with guns all over.

"The ambulance was there for about five or 10 minutes and then it drove off. His mum and brother were sobbing in the street."


From Belfast Telegraph