Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Man held in murder probe after police re-open case

The original probe had found no ‘suspicious circumstances’.

A 50-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murdering a woman in 2014 after police re-opened the case in light of new information.

The original police investigation into the death of 49-year-old Linda Richardson was closed after it was deemed there were no “suspicious circumstances”.

She was found unconscious at a house in Bury, Greater Manchester, in the early hours of June 14 2014 and died later in hospital.

Greater Manchester Police said the case was re-opened in November last year after officers received new information and, on Monday, a man was arrested on suspicion of murder.

He remains in police custody for questioning, police said.

Detective Inspector John Stainton said: “Whenever new credible information comes to light, whether the case is closed or not, we have a duty to investigate it.

“We have a man in custody who will be questioned by specialist officers to aid our investigation while we carry out our inquiries and our thoughts are with the family during this difficult time.”

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph