Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Man held over riots shooting murder

Detectives investigating the murder of a man who died after he was shot in Croydon during the London riots have arrested a 24-year-old man.

Trevor Ellis, 26, of Brixton Hill, south London, was found at about 9.20pm on Monday in a vehicle in Duppas Hill Road at its junction with Warrington Road, police said.

Late on Saturday night, officers carried out an "armed operation" in Camberwell, south east London, and arrested the 24-year-old man on suspicion of murder.

The father-of-four was taken to St George's Hospital with a gunshot wound to his head, and was pronounced dead on August 9, police said.

Detective Chief Inspector Neil Hutchison of Operation Trident, which deals with gun crime in the black community, said he believes Mr Ellis' killers were involved in looting during the disorder seen in Croydon.

Police said that Mr Ellis had travelled to the Croydon area earlier on Monday August 8 with a group of friends. It is believed the group became involved in an altercation with another group of about nine people and this turned into a car chase involving three vehicles.

Another man is still in custody being questioned over the shooting. The 27-year-old was arrested on Saturday in Sutton on suspicion of murder and is still being held in a south London police station.

A 24-year-old man was arrested in Brighton on suspicion of murder on Thursday but has since been bailed to return on September 12. Another male, aged 26, was arrested on suspicion of murder on Friday in Mitcham, south London, and has been bailed to a date to be confirmed.

Meanwhile, a 33-year-old man has been charged with starting a fire which destroyed the Reeves Furniture Store in the same area on Monday.

Gordon Edward Thompson, 33, of Waddon Road, Croydon, was charged with arson with intent to endanger life and arson at the furniture store and two counts of burglary and one count of violent disorder in Croydon town centre. He was remanded in custody to appear at Croydon Magistrates' Court on Monday.


From Belfast Telegraph