Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Man hunted over two sex attacks

A man is being hunted in connection with the rape of a woman in her home and the attempted rape of another as she slept in bed with her son, police said.

Trevor Lawler, 31, is wanted following the two incidents that took place in the early hours of this morning, after which one woman had to be taken to hospital with serious injuries.

Greater Manchester Police said that the "horrific incidents" were carried out whilst both victims' children were present and believe that the same man is responsible.

Shortly after 4.40am this morning police said they received a report of the attempted rape of a 24-year-old woman, who was asleep in bed with her young son, at her home in Newton Heath, Manchester.

The victim's boyfriend disturbed the man and he fled the house.

At around 7am, police received a further report that a 33-year-old woman had been raped and assaulted at her home in Failsworth, Greater Manchester.

The woman was with her baby at the time.

She is currently in hospital being treated for serious injuries. The baby suffered no injuries.

Detective Inspector Chris Flint of North Manchester division said: "These are horrific incidents, during which the victims' children were present. We have specially trained officers supporting the women and their families at this distressing time.

"I know people in the community will be upset this type of offence has taken place in their neighbourhood and I would like to reassure them that we have a team of experienced detectives working on the case and we are determined to catch the man responsible.

"We believe the man was known to the women and we are working to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incidents.

"We have released the photo of a man we want to speak to in connection with the incidents and I would urge you to contact police immediately if you see the Trevor."

Anyone with information should phone police on 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.


From Belfast Telegraph