Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Man is killed after e-cigarette explodes in his home

By Pat Hurst

A man has died after his e-cigarette exploded into flames and ignited oxygen equipment he is believed to have been using, fire chiefs said last night.

The 62-year-old was found dead in the living room of a property on Penkett Road in Wallasey, Merseyside. Whilst the exact cause of death is yet to be established, the fire investigation by Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS) found that an e-cigarette that had been charging in the bedroom exploded, caught fire and ignited the oxygen tube of an oxygen concentrator, which may have been in use by the occupier.

There was a small amount of smoke damage to the property, though the small fire in the bedroom had been extinguished by the time firefighters arrived.

An inquest will be held to determine the cause of the man's death. It is the ninth fire involving e-cigarettes on Merseyside alone this year, MFRS said.

Area manager Myles Platt from MFRS, said: "The investigation into the cause of this fire is continuing but at this stage it is thought that the charging device being used at the time may not have been the one supplied with the e-cigarette."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph