Man 'lucky' after train power shock
A football fan who climbed on top of a stationary train to retrieve a shoe was lucky to survive after being hit by 25,000 volts and thrown on to the track, British Transport Police said.
The 23-year-old is in a critical but stable condition in hospital after being seriously burned at Durham railway station on Saturday evening.
It is believed the man, from Cornforth, County Durham, is a Newcastle United fan who had travelled to the team's 2-0 home defeat against Blackpool.
His shoe, for reasons yet to be established, became lodged on top of the train, police said.
He climbed up from the platform and suffered a huge shock from the live overhead power lines.
Officers believe the man was travelling alone and are making inquiries into how his shoe got there.
Sergeant Nigel Ashworth, of BTP, said: "Officers have launched an ongoing investigation into how the shoe came to be on top of the carriage.
"The area was busy at the time and we are keen to hear from anyone who may have been on the train or at the station at the time of the incident.
"The man is currently in a critical but stable condition in hospital and is being treated for 40% burns.
"This young man is lucky to be alive. The overhead cables carry 25,000 volts and are always live."