Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Man shot by police 'had no weapons'

A man shot dead by armed officers in a village car park did not have any firearms or weapons on him, the police watchdog has said.

Anthony Paul Grainger, 36, from Bolton, died of a single gunshot wound to the chest after the car he was in was stopped in Culcheth, Cheshire, on Saturday evening in what police described as a "pre-planned operation".

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said their investigation had also found the vehicle had been stolen and had false registration plates at the time of the incident.

An inquest into Mr Grainger's death was opened and adjourned on Monday.

James Donaghy, deputy senior investigator for the IPCC, told the coroner that it would be leading the inquiry into what happened and that he anticipated it would be a "protracted" investigation due to the "significant number of police officers" they would need to speak to.

The inquest heard that Mr Grainger was born in Salford and lived in Deane Church Lane, Bolton, while his occupation was given as "odd job man".

The IPCC revealed earlier this week that initial evidence suggests two police firearms were discharged during the incident, though a full ballistic examination has yet to be undertaken on the recovered police weapons.

At this stage it is known that one round was discharged by an officer carrying a Heckler and Koch MP5 carbine and this passed through the car windscreen and struck Mr Grainger while he was sitting in the driver's seat of a red Audi car. Two Hatton rounds were discharged into the car's tyres by an officer carrying a shotgun in order to disable the vehicle. A CS canister was also deployed by hand into the vehicle by one of the firearms team.

The shooting, which happened in a car park in Jackson Avenue, sparked panic among residents, with villagers caught up in the stand-off and shepherded to safety comparing scenes to "something off a film". Officers from Greater Manchester Police's Specialist Operations branch performed first aid but Mr Grainger died.

IPCC commissioner Naseem Malik said: "I met with Mr Grainger's mother and partner on Monday to convey my sympathies and explain our role. They are understandably devastated by what happened to Mr Grainger and I appreciate they will have many questions they want answers to. We will endeavour to answer those questions through our independent investigation."


From Belfast Telegraph