Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Man shot dead by police at Enfield flats named as James Fox

A man who was shot dead by police after allegedly wielding a firearm in a block of flats has been named.

James Fox, 43, has been identified as the person who was killed by officers in Enfield, north London, by North London Coroner's Office.

Armed police stormed the sixth floor of the building after receiving reports a man with a gun was threatening to shoot someone.

Horrified residents have described seeing around 20 officers "swarm" Picardy House, Cedar Road, at around 11.50pm on Sunday.

Neighbours heard shots that "sounded like firecrackers" on the sixth floor, which was evacuated while police carried out a forensic examination of the scene.

Dowan Mustafa, 20, who lives on the seventh floor, said: "I was looking over our balcony and I saw coppers swarming the building. They were armed - around 20 of them.

"The coppers came in and after I heard the shots.

"I heard two gunshots, proper loud gunshots, which woke everyone up."

Residents described seeing scores of police and ambulances outside the building on Sunday night while armed officers hunted for the man.

Mr Fox was pronounced dead at the scene and a non-police firearm was recovered, a Scotland Yard spokesman said.

"No arrests have been made. There are no other reported injuries," he added.

Scotland Yard said officers were initially called to an address in Barnet, north London, on Sunday night following reports that an armed man was making threats to kill.

Police went to the property at 9.35pm but he had left before they arrived, and armed officers later went to Picardy House.

The incident has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) and an investigation has been launched.

Cindy Butts, IPCC commissioner, said: "Fatal police shootings are rare but require thorough independent scrutiny when they do occur.

"Our investigators are gathering all of the evidence to understand the full circumstances of what happened."

A post-mortem examination is due to take place today.


From Belfast Telegraph