Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Man shot dead by police in foiled 'bid to spring hitmen from prison van'

New details have emerged about a man shot dead by police as officers foiled an alleged plot to spring two convicts from a prison van.

Four men, aged between 19 and 32, were arrested in connection with the incident outside Wood Green Crown Court and are in custody.

They were allegedly trying to free Izzet Eren, 32, and Erwin Amoyaw-Gyamfi, 29, from a prison van taking them to the court on Friday.

Armed police wearing balaclavas and in unmarked 4x4 vehicles lay in wait at the scene after they were tipped off about the alleged attempt.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), which is investigating the fatal incident, said the person killed was a 28-year-old British man from Tottenham, north London.

A spokesman said: "The Independent Police Complaints Commission is continuing its investigation into yesterday's fatal shooting of a man during a police operation in Wood Green, North London.

"Today investigators have undertaken house to house inquiries in the area of Bracknell Close, Wood Green, and they have supervised further evidential searches of the area where the incident occurred.

"A black Audi car, which was the focus of the police operation, has been removed from the scene for further forensic testing.

"The person who died at the scene was a 28 year-old British male of mixed black and white heritage who lived in the Tottenham area. His family have been informed."

The man died in Bracknell Close, which runs behind the court, after being shot once by a police officer, the IPCC said. A gun was also reportedly found at the scene.

Eren and Amoyaw-Gyamfi were arrested by armed police while riding a stolen motorbike in north London on October 13 and found to be carrying a Skorpion sub-machine gun and Tokarev handgun.

They were intercepted en route to "kill, or maim or wound" an unnamed person and pleaded guilty to charges of possessing guns and ammunition with intent to endanger life, aggravated vehicle-taking and a driving offence at a previous hearing.

The pair were both jailed for 14 years for the attempted "professional hit".

Jailing the men, who have a string of prior drug and violence convictions, Judge Nicholas Browne QC said the gravity of gun crime "could not be overstated".

He said: "This was to be a professional hit. Each of you was armed with a loaded, lethal weapon.

"The potential consequences were all too obvious. You could have been killed or seriously injured. So could innocent members of the public, not to mention your intended victim."

He added: "In sentencing you I completely ignore and put out of my mind the serious incident outside the court area, not far from where I am today. I observe and agree with your wish to be sentenced today."

The Directorate of Professional Standards - the Metropolitan Police's internal watchdog - is also investigating the incident.


From Belfast Telegraph