Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'anthrax' letter alert

Scotland Yard has launched an investigation after a letter containing white powder purporting to be anthrax was addressed to Meghan Markle at Kensington Palace.

The letter - addressed to both Meghan and Prince Harry - sparked a full security scare with specialists being rushed in to check the material.

Security measures already in place meant the package was intercepted before it reached the couple.

Analysis of the powder also found that it was harmless.

Meghan, 36 and Harry, 33, are understood to have been informed of the incident.

Analysis of the powder also found that it was harmless.

Officers from the Met’s Counter Terrorism command were called in after the letter was sent to Kensington Palace on February 12, a day before police revealed a package containing white powder had been sent to the Palace of Westminster.

The second letter is reported to have been sent to the office of Home Secretary Amber Rudd at the Houses of Parliament and the material inside was also found to be non-harmful.

Detectives are believed to be examining if the two incidents are linked.

Counter terrorism detectives have launched an investigation to trace the senders of the letters but there have been no arrests so far. 

The incident is being played down officially by police but it has put Scotland Yard on high alert ahead of the Royal wedding of the couple in May.

Security for the day is under constant review with potential threats ranging from a worst scenario of a terror attack to threats from deranged individuals.

Meghan and Harry are due to ride around a public route to greet crowds in a carriage after they wed at St George’s Chapel on Saturday May 19.

The carriage procession will travel along a route including Castle Hill, High Street, Sheet Street, Kings Road, Albert Road, Long Walk and back to Windsor Castle.

“They hope this short journey will provide an opportunity for more people to come together around Windsor and to enjoy the atmosphere of this special day,” Kensington Palace has said.

At present there are no plans to change any of the details of the wedding which is being paid for by the Royal Family.

The anthrax scare is the first security alert surrounding Prince Harry’s fiance who has been assigned with a security team from the Met’s Royalty and Specialist Protection Command.

Miss Markle will become an official member of the Royal Family following her wedding but already she  will be subject to round the clock protection.

She will also have received a number of briefings on security and how she should react in a threatening situation.  

Cases of hoax letters involving white powder have soared since the infamous 2001  “anthrax attacks” in the United States which killed five people.

Early this month police in Washington DC launched an investigation after ‘white substance’ was sent to former President Obama’s office space in the city. The substance is thought to be baby powder.

There have been also be ongoing threats against the Royal Family.

Last October a terror suspect allegedly encouraged extremists to attack Prince George at school, warning that “even the Royal family will not be left alone.

A 31-year-old man is due to face trial in connection with the threat in April.

Scotland Yard said it was aware of the letter and officers from Counter Terrorism Command had launched an investigation.

Independent News Service

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph