Meghan Markle’s father keen to be ‘part of history’ and walk daughter down aisle
Thomas Markle has reportedly indicated a willingness to attend after previous claims he would not perform the father of the bride’s duty.
Meghan Markle’s father has reportedly said he now wants to walk his daughter down the aisle but has been admitted to hospital with serious chest pains.
Thomas Markle’s apparent change of mind comes after Ms Markle contacted him amid widespread speculation over his attendance, celebrity news site TMZ reported.
The US actress’s father told the site: “I hate the idea of missing one of the greatest moments in history and walking my daughter down the aisle.
“This is a historic moment. I’d like to be a part of history.”
The former lighting director is in hospital where doctors are conducting tests after he complained of serious chest pain after an apparent heart attack last week.
But he appears determined to make his daughter’s big day and told TMZ if doctors discharge him from hospital he will travel to England.
Ms Markle and Harry are both deeply concerned for Mr Markle’s welfare and are likely to put that priority above the tradition of a father walking his daughter down the aisle.
Mr Markle became embroiled in controversy after allegedly staging paparazzi photographs of himself in the run-up to the royal nuptials at Windsor Castle on Saturday.
The day after the Mail of Sunday reported that the pictures, which appeared in a number of British newspapers, were mocked-up, Ms Markle’s father dropped out of the wedding, according to TMZ, telling the site he did not want to “embarrass the royal family or his daughter”.
But on Monday he missed a call from his daughter and she later told him she loved him in a text message and was concerned about his health.
Despite her parents divorcing when she was six Meghan has remained close to her father.
When she lived with her mother Doria Ragland in Los Angeles, the actress spent a great deal of time with Mr Markle who now lives in Mexico.
Mr Markle told the TMZ site Meghan harbours no ill feelings towards him over the alleged collusion with the paparazzi agency, and he said about the Queen’s interest in events: “I don’t think the Queen is thinking about what I’m doing.”
The former lighting director was due to meet the Queen with Meghan’s mother in the days leading up to the wedding being staged at St George’s Chapel at the castle.
And at the same event he would have been introduced to the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall.
But serious questions remain about Mr Markle’s health if the reports of a recent heart attack and an admittance to hospital with serious chest pains are to be believed.
He told the entertainment site he has asked to be discharged on Wednesday but medical staff have been noncomittal.
The depth of Harry and Meghan’s feelings for Mr Markle were revealed in a Kensington Palace statement released on Monday night: “This is a deeply personal moment for Ms Markle in the days before her wedding.
“She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr Markle in this difficult situation.”