Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Mother and child rescued from fire

A woman and her two-year-old son have been rescued from a fire started by scented candles.

Fire crews used a ladder to reach the pair, who were trapped at the rear of a first-floor flat in Mount Gould Road, Plymouth, Devon, at about 5am on Christmas morning.

The alarm was raised by the woman's partner, who had got out of the flat after a smoke alarm went off.

Toxic fumes from a plastic bath which was set alight by the candles stopped the woman and child escaping.

All three were treated by paramedics at the scene for the effects of breathing in smoke.

A Devon and Somerset Fire Service spokesman said: "One adult female and a two-year-old child were rescued by fire service personnel using a short extension ladder, all given precautionary check-up by paramedics.

"One cat was also rescued by fire service personnel.

"The cause of the fire was believed to be candles on the bath. The occupiers were alerted to the fire by the smoke alarms activating."

The flat has been severely damaged by the fire and water from burst pipes affected a flat below the property.


From Belfast Telegraph