Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Mother's bid to save cord girl

The mother of a two-year-old girl who died after getting accidentally tangled in a window blind cord in her bedroom has told how she frantically gave mouth-to-mouth to her daughter in an attempt to save her.

Alexandra Lucy Hoegh, the daughter of multi-millionaire businessman Morten Hoegh, 39, and his wife Dana, died after the tragic accident in her top-floor room at the family's four-storey luxury home in west London last October, an inquest heard.

Mrs Hoegh gave evidence about how she ran into the street with her daughter's limp body and tried to save her after she was found in her cot with a cord round her neck by her Filipino nanny.

Westminster Coroner's Court in London heard that Mrs Hoegh was chatting with a friend, Catherine Mathiesen, downstairs in the kitchen when they heard Melinda De La Cruz scream twice from upstairs.

"We went to the door of the kitchen and met Melinda with Alexandra," she said.

"She was blue. She was not breathing. "I ran downstairs into the street. I asked my friend Catherine to call an ambulance and started mouth-to-mouth on her on the pavement."

She added that Alexandra's colour came back straight away from the CPR and she was a little sick but she did not respond further.

Alexandra was rushed to St Mary's Hospital in Paddington, where she was pronounced dead at 3.17pm on October 29, just over an hour after she had been found.

Mr and Mrs Hoegh issued a statement after inquest saying their daughter's death had left them "devastated" and asked for their privacy to be respected as they come to terms with their loss.

Coroner Dr Fiona Wilcox ruled that Alexandra, just three weeks shy of her third birthday, died as the result of an accident. She said she would write to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), asking it to talk to blind manufacturers about putting warnings on their products.


From Belfast Telegraph