MP ‘completely confident’ of clearing name after sex offence allegations
The Dover and Deal MP was suspended by the Conservative Party in November last year following “serious allegations”.
Conservative MP Charlie Elphicke said he was “completely confident” of proving his innocence after reported allegations of sexual offences involving two members of his staff.
The Dover and Deal representative was suspended by the Conservative Party in November last year following “serious allegations”.
At the time, Mr Elphicke denied any wrongdoing and said he did not know what the allegations against him were.
The Sunday Times said the alleged female victims were interviewed by Scotland Yard earlier this year.
Police also spoke to the MP under caution on March 12, which he said was the first time he was made aware of the nature of the allegations.
It was some 5 months before I was made aware of what the “allegations” against me were. Now I know, I am completely confident I will be able to prove my innocence. I will continue to defend myself vigorously for as long as necessary.— Charlie Elphicke (@CharlieElphicke) April 14, 2018
In a post on Twitter, Mr Elphicke said: “It was some 5 months before I was made aware of what the “allegations” against me were.
“Now I know, I am completely confident I will be able to prove my innocence. I will continue to defend myself vigorously for as long as necessary.”
In a further statement published by the Mail on Sunday, Mr Elphicke added: “I met with the police on March 12 (and) was then told for the first time the nature of the allegations made against me.
“Until that point I had no idea whatsoever of the allegations which had led to my having the Conservative whip suspended in early November 2017, despite my repeated requests for clarification to both the Chief Whip and the police.”
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “On 12 March, 2018, a man was interviewed under caution, by appointment.
“The interview was in connection with an ongoing investigation being carried out by the Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command into alleged sexual offences.
“The interview took place at a police building. At this stage in the investigation the MPS will not comment further.”