Mrs Doyle knits tea cosy for families of serial killers’ victims
Actress Pauline McLynn, who starred in hit TV comedy Father Ted, pledged a handmade woollen as part of a fundraising drive for an upcoming inquest.
Mrs Doyle from Father Ted has lent her support to the families of serial killer Stephen Port’s victims – by knitting a tea cosy.
Actress Pauline McLynn, who starred in the hit TV comedy, has pledged a hand-made woollen as part of a fundraising drive, a campaign spokeswoman said.
As Craggy Island’s pushy housekeeper, Ms McLynn was famed for foisting cups of tea on visiting clergy, with the catchphrase “gwan gwan”.
It is understood Ms McLynn is friends with Mandy Pearson, step-mother of one of Port’s victims, Daniel Whitworth.
The families of three of Port’s victims are trying to raise £10,000 to help fund legal representation at an upcoming inquest into the deaths.
Between June 2014 and September 2015, 43-year-old Port drugged, raped and killed four young men before dumping their bodies near his flat in Barking.
In 2016, he was handed a whole life sentence for murdering fashion student Anthony Walgate, 23, from Hull; Slovakian Gabriel Kovari, 22; chef Mr Whitworth, 21 from Gravesend; and forklift truck driver Jack Taylor, 25, from Dagenham.
The killings were finally halted, thanks in part to the determination of the Taylor family, who launched their own investigation.
It is hoped the fresh inquest into the deaths of all four young victims will shed light on why police failed to stop the murder spree before.
Earlier this month, Mr Taylor’s sister Donna told the Press Association: “I think we are all hoping the inquest will highlight just what officers did not do when they could have done.
“In the long run we are hoping for justice and certain officers to be held accountable.”
So far, the CrowdJustice appeal has raised more than £6,200 of the target.
A charity event is also being held on Friday evening at the Dagenham Trades Hall to boost funds.
Meanwhile, the Judiciary has confirmed Port has lodged an appeal against his conviction at the Court of Appeal.
But a spokeswoman for the Justice for Our Murdered Boys campaign said: “The victims’ families remain assured of the safety of Port’s conviction. This changes nothing.”