Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Murder probe over men's deaths

A double murder investigation has been launched following the deaths of two men.

Police were called by London Ambulance Service just before 1am to Montague Road, Leytonstone, north east London, following reports of two injured men, the Metropolitan Police said.

The men, believed to be aged in their 20s, were found in a vehicle suffering from injuries.

They were both pronounced dead at the scene.

Detectives are appealing for witnesses and information, and enquiries are ongoing to identify the victims and to inform next of kin.

An incident room has opened in Barking under Detective Chief Inspector Neil Attewell from the Homicide and Major Crime Command.

Post-mortem examinations have been scheduled to take place from 2pm this afternoon at Walthamstow Mortuary.

There have been no arrests at this time and enquiries continue, police said.

A note on a bunch of flowers at the scene said: "rip aaron, always in our hearts, miss you. From jordan & mum xxx".

A team of eight forensic officers were drafted in to conduct a painstaking fingertip search of the road and pavement around the scene.

The officers spent hours on their hands and knees trawling a 200-yard stretch of Montague Road, scouring drains and gutters as they went.

Earlier they had erected two tents, outside of which was a quantity of broken glass, apparently from a vehicle window.

The forensics team laid a total of 10 markers to indicate material of interest to the investigation.

A young boy who was chaperoned through the police cordon by a PCSO to reach his home asked his parents: "Who died here?"

Throughout the evening a steady stream of mourners came to pay their respects and lay flowers at the police line.

In their tributes to the pair, local mourners identified the victims as 'Josiah and Aaron'.

A group of three men splashed the floral tributes with brandy before stopping to swap stories about the deceased.

In a written tribute another mourner said: "Nothing but love my brothers, may you rest in peace. Love Tony."

One local resident who declined to give her name said: "I left and when I came back I saw it. It's horrible and I just heard what happened. I am so sorry - it's terrible."

Throughout the evening, plain clothes detectives came and went from the scene but there were no further police updates on what had happened.

Local residents who found themselves on the wrong side of the police cordon were forced to sign in as out and police officers strictly controlled access to the area around the crime scene.


From Belfast Telegraph