| 6.1°C Belfast

Murder probe under way as man shot dead at Dorset home named


Guy Hedger

Guy Hedger

Guy Hedger

Guy Hedger died during a burglary at the £1 million home he shared with his partner.

Police are hunting “at least two” suspects after a businessman was gunned down during a botched burglary at his £1 million home.

Guy Hedger was fatally wounded at his house in the Dorset village of St Ives in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The 61-year-old insurance executive was rushed to hospital, although he died of his injuries shortly after arrival.

Superintendent Kevin Connolly, of Dorset Police, said the killing was being treated as an “aggravated burglary,” and added: “The offenders, we believe, went in to steal and they have subsequently shot an innocent man”.

Mr Hedger was listed as living at the property with Simon-Pierre Hedger-Cooper, 48, a voluntary sector worker who was reportedly his husband of 12 years.

Police said a second person in the property at the time of the killing was “deeply affected by the incident” and they were being supported by specially trained officers.

Meanwhile the businessman’s next-of-kin have asked for privacy at the “deeply traumatic time”, police said.

A spokesman for insurance company Liverpool Victoria (LV=) paid tribute to Mr Hedger and expressed sympathy for his family.

He said: “We were all shocked to hear that our friend and colleague Guy Hedger, LV=’s marketing and brand director, died over the weekend in such tragic circumstances.

“An extremely talented marketer, Guy was instrumental in building the LV= brand and he will be sorely missed by many. Our heartfelt condolences and sympathy are with his family and loved ones at this incredibly sad time.”

Dorset Police said officers were called to Castlewood, a cul-de-sac with about nine large detached houses, at 3.03am to reports that “at least two intruders had entered a house”.

The shooting sparked a major police operation, with a police helicopter scrambled to the area to search for the intruders, although no arrests were made.

A “heavy police presence” was later deployed in the area and the house was sealed off by investigators.

Mr Hedger was marketing director at Avonbourne International and Business and Enterprise Trust, which runs colleges and a primary school in the Bournemouth area.

Detective Chief Inspector Sarah Derbyshire said: “At this stage we are still trying to establish exactly what happened at the address in Castlewood and how and why the victim was shot dead.

“Currently we do not believe the offenders were known to the victim, however we continue to investigate all lines of inquiry.”

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Top Videos