Nadir to sue for wrongful arrest
Former Polly Peck tycoon Asil Nadir is to issue a writ for wrongful arrest, his lawyers said.
The 69-year-old millionaire was arrested on Saturday afternoon for an alleged breach of his bail conditions. He is awaiting a multi-million pound theft trial next year and has to be in his Mayfair townhouse between midnight and 6am.
Police believed Nadir, who wears an electronic tag, was out of his home breaking his curfew at some point on Friday night and took him into custody. But after five hours of questioning Nadir emerged on Saturday evening with his 26-year-old wife Nur on to the steps of Charing Cross police station.
Claiming police had apologised, he promised to issue a writ on Monday morning "against the people that have created this most unfortunate situation".
It was not clear whether he meant the Metropolitan Police or the company that monitors his tag.
But on Sunday night his lawyers, Bark and Co, fraud specialists, issued a statement on their website saying "a full article will be released tomorrow".
It said: "Evidence in the form of witnesses and CCTV showed that there had been no such breach. Mr Nadir was released without charge and received an apology. On Monday morning a wrongful arrest writ will be served .Mr Nadir is extremely upset with the events of yesterday and a full article will be released tomorrow."
Nadir was originally charged with 66 offences of theft alleging a £34 million fraud following the collapse of his Polly Peck empire.
He fled in 1993 to northern Cyprus before the counts - put into fewer condensed charges - could be put to him at trial. But on July 30 this year Mr Justice Bean was told he wanted to return to fight the case.
Upon arriving back in Britain in August with his wife, Nadir declared he had a "little injustice to sort out" and that he was confident he would clear his name.