Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Nazi sympathiser Marek Zakrocki drove van at man during London racist rampage, court hears

By Emily Pennink

A Britain First supporter gave a Nazi salute and shouted "white power" before driving at a curry house owner, a court heard yesterday.

Marek Zakrocki (48) threatened to "kill a Muslim" then launched his attack outside Spicy Night in Alexandra Parade in Harrow, London, on the anniversary of the Brexit vote.

Zakrocki, who was originally charged with attempted murder, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and battering his wife.

Prosecutor Denis Barry said: "Mr Zakrocki had plainly, during the course of that afternoon, had far too much to drink.

"During the course of that evening he assaulted his wife, drove off in his work vehicle, insulted a series of passers-by and then drove his vehicle at the owner of a curry house, breaking the window of the restaurant.

"It's plain his conduct is likely to have been motivated by his views about our diverse society."

Earlier on June 23, he had got drunk on wine, grabbed his wife Ewa Zakrocka by the arm and threatened to "kill people" and himself.

During a rampage around Harrow, Zakrocki made a Nazi salute, pushed an unknown Asian man and shouted "white power, white power".

He was also heard to say: "I'm going to kill a Muslim. I'm doing it for Britain. This is how I'm going to help the country. You people cannot do anything."

The Polish-born window fitter ended up outside Spicy Night restaurant, blocking the road with his white van.

Following an altercation in the street, he started the engine and aimed the vehicle at restaurant owner Kamal Ahmed.

The court heard he used the van as a weapon against Mr Ahmed and twice mounted the pavement.

He was driving at 5mph and was effectively trying to pin Mr Ahmed against the restaurant window, which smashed.

Because of the increased state of alert at the time, officers arrested Zakrocki in a "hard stop".

Police found a Nazi coin in Zakrocki's pocket and a stash of Britain First flyers and newspapers at his home in Harrow.

In interview, Zakrocki appeared to be "fixated" by Muslims and said he had made donations to Britain First in the past.

Charges of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm and having a knife in Northolt Road, Harrow, were ordered to lie on file.

Judge Anthony Leonard QC remanded the defendant into custody for sentencing on January 12, warning he was considering a jail sentence.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph