| 12.4°C Belfast

Neighbours' shock at St Lucia death


A Briton has died after being attacked on a boat off St Lucia

A Briton has died after being attacked on a boat off St Lucia

A Briton has died after being attacked on a boat off St Lucia

The neighbours of a British man who died defending his wife after attackers boarded their boat in the Caribbean have described their shock at the news after the couple's dream holiday ended in tragedy.

Roger Pratt, 62, a retired engineer, died and his wife Margaret was injured after three armed men got on their yacht while moored off the south coast of St Lucia on Friday, police said.

Mrs Pratt, who retired as a management consultant to go on the long-planned around-the-world holiday, had celebrated her 60th birthday just days before the incident.

Neighbours living in the hamlet of Moreton Paddox near Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, expressed shock and disbelief at the news, describing the couple as friendly and keen sailors.

Lavinia O'Shaughnessy, who has known the couple 15 years, said: "I just feel really upset because for something like that to happen to people who are so very nice is terrible - I wanted them to come back.

She added: "They were going on a journey on their boat, sailing around the world.

"They rented their house out a few months ago, then went off sailing."

Mrs O'Shaughnessy said: "Margaret was very friendly - she'd pick me up at the end of the road to give me a lift into town if she saw me, she was that sort of person.

"She was very into her work.

"I really miss her, and I'm very sorry to hear about Roger."

Meanwhile, police are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding what happened as officers released more details about the incident.

St Lucia Police said officers were called to reports of a robbery on the Pratt's yacht, the Magnetic Attraction, while moored in Vieux Fort on the island's south coast at about midnight.

"Officers received information three armed men had boarded the vessel, and attacked and injured the occupants before they fled," a statement said.

"Within minutes of the robbers fleeing, Margaret went in search of her husband and found him floating in the nearby waters.

"Roger was retrieved and transported to St Jude Hospital via ambulance along with his wife."

Mr Pratt was pronounced dead on arrival while Mrs Pratt was discharged after treatment.

Three men are still being detained in connection with the incident, while a post -mortem examination is due to be carried out tomorrow.

Another couple who lived a few doors from the couple's large detached house said they had a passion for sailing, and had spent a great deal of time on the coast getting the boat prepared for their trip.

The man, who declined to give his name, said the couple had bought a house in Norfolk where Mrs Pratt is from originally in order to work on the yacht.

He said: "I remember talking to Roger about the boat and he mentioned that it was steel hulled," he said.

"Sailing was their hobby, it was a real passion for them.

"I think it was May last year when Roger came around to the house say goodbye and that they were off on their journey.

"I said to Roger 'I hope you have a good trip, and I wish you every success', and it's such a shame."

Susan Barraclough, another neighbour, said: "It's just a horrible thing to happen, it is dreadful news."

The incident has also rocked the sailing community, and in a statement today the Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Yacht Club said it was "stunned and saddened" to hear of the death of Mr Pratt, one of its members, offering its sincere condolences to the family.

Today, prayers have also been said for the couple at the parish church.

The vicar, the Rev John Parker, said: "They set off on the experience of a lifetime only for them to have been set upon, it seems, by robbers in a crime that appears to have gone horribly wrong.

"Our hopes and prayers are with the family and particularly Margaret, and we wish her a speedy recovery."

Mr and Mrs Pratt, who were both highly-experienced sailors, had set off on their global journey from Lowestoft in July last year, keeping family and friends back home updated on their progress through an online blog.

According to the blog, the couple had been preparing to set out on the next stage of their journey from the island's western harbour town of Soufriere on Thursday, but instead sailed farther south to Fort Vieux because of an administration hold-up with port officials.

A few days earlier on January 10, Mrs Pratt posted an entry and photos of her birthday celebrations, including dinner with friends, and said she was having "a blissful time".

She wrote: "The evening went with a swing, aided by a local rum punch with fruit juice that definitely packed a punch!

"Altogether a delightful and memorable day."

A blog entry from last November also shows the couple were alert to the dangers of the high seas, with Mr Pratt attending a boating seminar in the Canary Islands on the risks of piracy.

Both Mr and Mrs Pratt are listed as the directors of management consultancy firm Okra Associates, while she has previously worked as chief executive of St Mary's Hospital and Isle of Wight Primary Care Trust and director of finance at Trafford Healthcare NHS Trust.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Top Videos