Another former News of the World executive is being questioned over phone hacking.
The 61-year-old, named by sources as Greg Miskiw, is being held on suspicion of intercepting mobile phone messages.
Scotland Yard said the suspect remained in custody after visiting a London police station by appointment at midday yesterday.
Mr Miskiw, who has been living in the US since leaving a senior editorial post at News International, told reporters last month he was planning to return to the UK to meet officers.
He is believed to have left the recently-axed Sunday tabloid in 2005 before moving to Florida after a spell in Manchester.
The arrest by Operation Weeting detectives comes a week after Stuart Kuttner, the former managing editor of the News of the World, was held on suspicion of phone hacking and inappropriate payments to police.
Mr Miskiw becomes the 12th person to be arrested since Scotland Yard's fresh investigation into phone hacking was launched in January.