Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

NHS manager sent poison pen letters

A senior NHS manager has been found guilty of sending poison pen letters to a female colleague after she spurned him.

Father-of-two Karl Perryman, 52, was head of complaints and legal services at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn, Norfolk, when he sent the "dark and spiteful" notes to junior colleague Joanne O'Neill.

The eight letters, which began in December 2012, were also sent to other managers along with Ms O'Neill's then partner and her mother. They accused her of dressing "like a hooker", "sleeping her way to the top" and having noisy sex on hospital time.

A jury at King's Lynn Crown Court found him guilty of stalking and intimidating a witness after a trial lasting more than two weeks, the court said. He will be sentenced on April 17.

The letters began when Ms O'Neill began a relationship with the hospital's deputy director of ICT, Michael Brown, who she has since married. They purported to be from an anonymous Christian woman who wanted to put a stop to her supposedly deplorable conduct.

They were traced to Perryman who had earlier secured Ms O'Neill a job after apparently becoming infatuated with her at a job interview.

Giving evidence, Ms O'Neill, who worked as complaints manager, told the court: "I would be called into his office with him boasting about his conquests, how important he was and how powerful he was.

"He would talk about my relationship and how odd it was."

Prosecutor Jude Durr said the letters all concerned "rank, status, sex, lying, cheating, flirting, dressing inappropriately and reaping what you sow".

He added: "She felt genuinely frightened that she was being watched every time she attended a meeting or saw a colleague in the corridor. It was also affecting her home life.

"She didn't at that stage have any idea who could be so vindictive and hateful.

"The invasion of her personal, professional and private life caused a real devastating fear of escalation."

Perryman, who has been suspended from his job, was released on bail and given a restraining order.


From Belfast Telegraph