No honeymoon for newlyweds Harry and Meghan – they’re straight back to work
The royal couple will carry out their first official engagements as husband and wife on Tuesday.
The newly married Duke and Duchess of Sussex will have little time to recover from their fairytale wedding as they head straight back to work this week.
Unlike other newlyweds, Harry and Meghan will not be jetting off on a honeymoon straight away, and will instead be back on royal duty, carrying out their first official engagements as husband and wife.
The couple, who exchanged vows in a ceremony watched by millions across the world on Saturday, are due to attend a Buckingham Palace garden party on Tuesday as part of the Prince of Wales’s 70th birthday celebrations.
It will mark the beginning of a new life for former actress Meghan, who has already spoken of her desire to “hit the ground running” in her role as a full-time royal.
Shortly after the couple were proclaimed husband and wife at St George’s Chapel in Windsor, Kensington Palace’s social media pages and the royal family’s website had been updated to reflect their newest member.
A biography of the Los Angeles-born Suits star on the monarchy’s official website described her “lifelong commitment” to working to promote “social justice and women’s empowerment”, carrying a quote in which she declares: “I am proud to be a woman and a feminist.”
Meghan, who is reported to have broken with tradition to give a speech of her own at the wedding reception, has worked with a number of charities in the past, including UN Women and World Vision. She will continue working with the Royal Foundation alongside Harry and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
A visit to Australia is in the diary for October, for the 2018 Invictus Games, while other trips abroad this year are said to be in the pipeline.
But despite their hectic schedules, the couple seized the opportunity to spend some time away from the public eye on Sunday.
After two receptions hosted by the Queen and Prince of Wales on Saturday – with some guests said to have continued partying well after Frogmore House closed its doors – the royal newlyweds left Windsor Castle on Sunday afternoon for some well-earned privacy.
Only the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were seen returning home to Kensington Palace on Sunday evening.
Earlier in the day, the Birmingham-born designer of Meghan’s wedding dress had told how the royal bride had been “glowing” and “incredibly composed” when she had put on the gown on the morning of the ceremony.
Clare Waight Keller also revealed that Harry had spoken to her after the service, and said: “Oh my God, thank you, she looks absolutely stunning.”
The touching revelation came as reports revealed guests celebrated the couple tying the knot by downing themed cocktails, eating up-market fast food, watching a spectacular fireworks display and dancing to a celebrity DJ.
Hollywood star George Clooney whisked both Meghan and Kate on to the dancefloor, the Mirror reported, while the Duchess of Sussex was said to have ended her speech by saying: “I have found my prince.”