Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Parents upbeat as Ashya King arrives in Prague clinic

By Staff Reporter

Ashya King is set to make his first visit to the clinic where he is expected to receive the treatment that prompted the legal wrangle over his care.

The five-year-old brain tumour patient has been flown to Prague from Spain after leaving the Materno Infantil hospital in Malaga in Spain, where he has been treated since his parents were arrested more than a week ago.

Ashya was seen being wheeled into the University Hospital Motol in the Czech capital by medics while his mother Naghmeh stood close by.

Meanwhile, father Brett King was visiting the Proton Therapy Centre Czech (PTC) to discuss the boy's potential proton treatment.

The centre said little Ashya would have his first consultation and examination this morning.

The Kings triggered an international police pursuit when they removed Ashya from Southampton General Hospital on August 28. They were desperate for him to be given the proton therapy, which was not available to them on the NHS.

Speaking after arriving in the Czech Republic, Mr King told Sky News they were "just so happy to be here".

He said: "This is what we wanted from the beginning. Things went from bad to worse at one stage.

"We just want the best for Ashya. He's got to get through this, he's got to get better."

Mr King said his son was "a little bit depressed" when they were first reunited.

"He's building up his strength now. We are sure he can see us and he can definitely hear us," he said.

"I am sure they are going to give him the best treatment. We just hope for the best for him."

The Proton Therapy Centre arranged for a private Cessna Citation Mustang jet fitted with medical equipment to transport the young patient from Spain.

Ashya will undergo tests ahead of the possible proton treatment next week, according to reports. It is expected to last for around five weeks, with the boy staying at Motol hospital and travelling to PTC each day.

A spokesman for University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust, which runs Southampton General Hospital, said: "It is good news that Ashya's treatment can be resumed without delay and we are delighted for him that the situation has now been resolved."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph