Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Peter Mandelson asks Met if his phone was tapped

By Oliver Wright and Martin Hickman

A former Northern Ireland Secretary is one of two ex-Cabinet ministers who have demanded the Metropolitan Police tell them whether they were targeted by an alleged phone hacker.

Jack Straw and former Secretary of State Peter Mandelson contacted police after it was revealed they may have fallen victim to Jonathan Rees, who worked for the News of the World and Mirror Group titles.

Mr Straw, a former Home Secretary, said the first he had heard about his phone being hacked was when he read Wednesday's newspapers. He had suspected he may have been targeted over what he described as the "disgraceful sting" on his teenage son William, who sold a reporter £10 worth of cannabis in 1997.

Lord Mandelson said the phone hacking scandal had moved far beyond the wrongdoing of a single rogue reporter and hinted that previous police investigations had been inadequate.

"I have contacted the Met Police today to ask them what information they may hold."

Tony Blair, the former Prime Minister, said he knew no more than what he had read and had not spoken to Scotland Yard.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph