Phone hacking trial: Calum Best paid £3,000 for News of the World stories about his father George Best's death, court hears
Glamour model Lorna Hogan claims Calum Best got her pregnant the night before George Best's memorial service
Hacking victim Calum Best was paid thousands of pounds by the News of the World for articles about his father's death, a court has heard.
The Old Bailey was told that the 32-year-old celebrity received around £3,000 for two stories after George Best died in November 2005.
The American-born former model, who was allegedly hacked on the orders of former NotW editor Andy Coulson and head of news Ian Edmondson, admitted he had "actively encouraged" some media intrusion into his personal life.
Answering questions from Tim Langdale QC, representing Coulson, Best also acknowledged he had free-spending habits.
Mr Langdale asked Best: "You were someone who tended to spend what money you got rather than investing it?
"You could say that," Best said.
"You were a bit reckless on the financial side of spending your money?"
"Yes, I suppose you could say that's fair," he answered.
The court heard that Best had also been paid around £2,000 for a story about an incident between him and Mick Jagger's daughter Elizabeth in a Soho nightclub.
Asked whether he had got used to reading articles about his personal life, he told the jury: "Correct, but I will say that you never really get used to it."
In early 2006, Best met glamour model Lorna Hogan in a nightclub and they saw each other for two months, during which she got pregnant.
At the time, Ms Hogan was working for an agency and had an agreement that she would be paid to pass on to the NotW "any bits of gossip or information" she might pick up about celebrities at parties.
She would receive "£3,000, £4,000, £5,000, up to £10,000" for stories, the court heard.
"I met Calum on numerous occasions over a couple of years and we got together for a short period of time. I got pregnant and had a daughter by him," Ms Hogan told the court. Best denies the child is his.
Ms Hogan claims she got pregnant after the pair had sex the night before George Best's memorial service in March 2006, leading Calum to turn up late the next day.
She then handed a scan of her unborn daughter to the newspaper for an exclusive after meeting Edmondson for lunch, although she claimed to have received no money for the image.
Best is claimed to have heard about this before the story went out on May 21 2006 through contacts at the NotW and sent her a text saying: "How could you be so low to sell a picture of an unborn child?"
The court previously heard that Edmondson allegedly tasked private investigator Glenn Mulcaire with hacking Best to obtain information.
There is no evidence that he was ever hacked, but Mulcaire "blagged" Best's number and Coulson allegedly told Edmondson to "do his phone" when it was suggested Best may be a "leak".
Police found mention of Best in Mulcaire's notes beside the word "Fiji", where he was filming reality TV show Celebrity Love Island at the time together with his mobile phone details.
The jury was also shown one of Mulcaire's logs regarding Best with "FAO Ian Edmondson. Private!!" scrawled across it.
Mulcaire hacked the phones of UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage, Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the Professional Footballer's Association (PFA), and women they were allegedly having affairs with, the court heard.
Mr Taylor was targeted in 2005 after claims that he was in an affair with PFA lawyer Joanne Armstrong.
Recordings of voice messages left on his phone were recovered from Mulcaire's home when he was arrested in 2006.
The court heard that Ms Armstrong's messages were also intercepted.
Mulcaire "blagged" Mr Farage's phone details by requesting a pin reset from his provider as he chased allegations about a secret relationship he was said to be having in Brussels with a woman called Liga Howells.
Both Mr Farage and Ms Howells had voicemails intercepted in 2006, with a story appearing in the NotW about their alleged affair in April 2006.
Former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks, 45, of Churchill, Oxfordshire; ex-spin doctor Coulson, also 45, from Charing in Kent; Edmondson, 44, from Raynes Park, south west London; and the tabloid's ex-managing editor Stuart Kuttner, 73, from Woodford Green, Essex, all deny conspiring with others to hack phones between October 3 2000 and August 9 2006.
Former NotW and Sun editor Brooks is also accused of two counts of conspiring with others to commit misconduct in public office - one between January 1 2004 and January 31 2012 and the other between February 9 2006 and October 16 2008 - linked to alleged inappropriate payments to public officials.
She faces another two allegations of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice - one with her former personal assistant Carter, 49, from Chelmsford in Essex, between July 6 and 9 2011; and a second with her husband, Charles Brooks, and former head of security at News International, Mark Hanna, and others between July 15 and July 19 2011.
Coulson is also facing two allegations that he conspired with former NotW royal editor Clive Goodman, 56, from Addlestone in Surrey, and other unknown people to commit misconduct in public office - between August 31 2002 and January 31 2003, and between January 31 and June 3 2005.
Mulcaire has admitted phone hacking.
Brooks herself was "extensively hacked" and was asked by police if she would give evidence as a witness, the court was told.
Evidence was read out regarding Mulcaire's interception of the voicemails of actress Sienna Miller and her childhood friend Archie Keswick in 2005.
The court heard that the hacking had coincided with a number of stories in the NotW about Miller and ex-boyfriend Jude Law, and that Mulcaire had also hacked the nanny of Law's ex-wife Sadie Frost.
The jury was shown an entry which read "Rebekah Wade", Brooks' maiden name, among Mulcaire's notes on these targets.
Tim Hargreaves, an officer working on Scotland Yard's Operation Weeting investigation into phone hacking, told the court that Brooks had been informed she was herself "the victim of extensive hacking" due to this entry.
Jonathan Laidlaw QC, representing Brooks, also suggested that she was also asked by police to provide a witness statement.
Mulcaire also hacked royal aides as the News of the World searched for stories about the monarchy, the court heard.
He intercepted a voicemail left by a doctor on the phone of Prince Harry's personal secretary, Helen Asprey, leading to a story about sports injuries the Prince was suffering.
The jury was shown an email sent by royal editor Goodman to Coulson in which he said: "Andy, want me to talk to Paddy (Harverson, the Prince of Wales's communications secretary) about Harry? The health inf is from the doctor himself scammed from Helen Asprey (Harry and William's PA) so it's solid."
Coulson replied: "He won't help, will he?"
The intercepted message left by sports specialist Dr Rod Jaques led to a story in the NotW on January 23 2005 with the headline Harry's Got 2 Nazi New Injuries.
The trial was adjourned until tomorrow.
Belfast Telegraph Digital