Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Police release new CCTV image of missing firefighter

Teams from Sussex Police and the London Fire Brigade have carried out extensive searches for Anthony Knott.

CCTV still of firefighter Anthony Knott (Sussex Police/PA)
CCTV still of firefighter Anthony Knott (Sussex Police/PA)

By Tom Pilgrim, PA

Police have released a CCTV image of the last known sighting of firefighter Anthony Knott who has been missing for a week.

Specialist emergency services teams are continuing to search for the 33-year-old who was last seen in Lewes, East Sussex, on the evening of December 20.

Mr Knott, a father of four from Orpington, Kent, was out with friends at The Lamb pub in Fisher Street before leaving at about 7.16pm for unknown reasons, Sussex Police said.

His family have since confirmed a sighting of the firefighter walking up Market Street, back towards the pub, at 7.41pm.

According to the time captured on the CCTV image, this occurs 20 minutes after Mr Knott’s phone was switched off.

Writing on Facebook on Friday, his fiancee Lucy Otto said Mr Knott’s phone has not been turned on since and his bank cards had not been used.

Sharing a photo of the jacket Mr Knott was wearing the night he went missing, Ms Otto issued a plea for information.

“So if you were in the area at that time and remember anything please let us know,” she wrote in her post.

“Someone must know something!! He cannot just go missing!!”

bpanews_1c7e6b46-cefe-461d-a9cd-9521a5a4a240_embedded249228644
Anthony Knott, from Orpington, Kent (Sussex Police/PA)

Teams from Sussex Police and the London Fire Brigade have carried out extensive searches of the area around the pub and the outdoor freshwater Pells Pool.

Chief Inspector Sarah Godley of Sussex Police said flood water had made the search operation “challenging” but teams remained “committed to finding Anthony”.

She said: “We have reviewed CCTV footage from a number of premises such as homes and businesses, and we are continuing to retrieve and review further footage as we attempt to find out what happened to Anthony.

“We hope this latest image of him may jog someone’s memory or help provide some new information about his disappearance.

She said local officers, drones and a dog unit had been drafted into the search efforts, with help also provided by East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, the National Police Air Service helicopter, Sussex Search and Rescue and the Coastguard agency.

Ms Godley added: “The area we have searched includes Pells Pool and Pellbrook Cut, as well as bins, street furniture, alleyways and dark areas.

“In addition to the local area, we have also extended our search of the River Ouse north towards Hamsey, and we will continue to search for Anthony until we get the answers his family are so desperately seeking.

“Seven days on, our priority remains to find him.

“A further search of the Pells Pool area and the river will be carried out over the weekend as the natural water level falls.”

bpanews_1c7e6b46-cefe-461d-a9cd-9521a5a4a240_embedded249228643
Mr Knott has been missing since Friday (Sussex Police/PA)

Sussex Police said Mr Knott is white, approximately 6ft and of medium build with medium-brown short gelled hair.

He was last seen wearing a black long-sleeve top, a dark denim suit-style jacket, dark denim jeans and black shoes.

He is also said to have a distinctive walk, with a slight bounce.

Anyone who may have information should contact Sussex Police online or phone 101 quoting Operation Barnstaple.

PA

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph